Grape DAO/DAO Board Restructuring

I understand where you’re coming from since I also experienced a lot of situations where I asked myself what the real expectations and responsibilities of the DAO Board really are and how others see them. It feels like, whenever there is an operational issue, it is automatically perceived as the DAO Board’s responsibility. But that’s not how I understood the role initially.
Sometime at beginning of our term, I proposed Skill Roles for the DAO itself since there are a lot of operational tasks, as you laid out and Arximedis initially enumerated:

Skill Roles for the DAO basically would have a similar effect as introducing what you are calling DAO Core but it wouldn’t require us to dissolve the DAO Board or change its primary focus on facilitation in terms of establishing processes while having an overview and auditing function.
It’s basically what Dean often criticizes, and that rightly so, I might add. We need to assign responsibilities to specific people that are in turn compensated for doing tasks reliably. We as a DAO Board should’ve pushed for that and I asked myself, where we failed with that. My answer is simple: we didn’t delegate enough and that in turn is quite understandable, since there weren’t any people to delegate DAO tasks to. Therefore: Skill Roles for the DAO.
Skill Roles could also potentially solve an issue that we discussed during our talks of switching to a more project focussed setting. A Project and Product Manager Role could very well be such a DAO Skill Role.

We learned a lot in the last months and gained some valuable experiences in the subDAO on how Skill Roles work and whether it’s a feasible concept. Since no subDAO (to my knowledge) complained about the Skill Role system so far, I’d suggest that we introduce those to the main DAO. I love the flat structure of Grape and try to keep things as simple as possible as long as it’s efficient and effective. Plus with the DAO Core concept, I feel we would elevate the DAO Board even further. For me, the DAO Board is nothing special, and shouldn’t have any special privileges. It should make things easier and help out wherever possible, but the overall responsibility lies with the DAO; and we’re all equally part of that.

5 Likes