Dear Grape DAO Members, I apologize that I did not have more time to make this even shorter.
i. Form a adequately defined GRAPE DAO Governance Rewards Model for Participation in Governance: Staking, Proposal, Voting, & Consistency Actions. NOTE: This proposal is/was a result of GRAPE DAO contributions to evolve & grow, not a bounty.
ii. Create a Governance Rewards Pool AND Select 1 of 2 Proposed Rewards Models (or use both take the average)
iii. Reward Grape Governance Members for the Past Epochs of Participation (2 Epochs per Review)
- Define & implement a formal GRAPE DAO Governance reward model for Governance actions, like Staking, Proposals, Voting, & Consistency.
- Align all DAO members to ensure clear expectations and transparency is provided about what rewards methods, amounts & logic will be, with the recommended approach taking into account the failed models in other DAOs/Incentives models, that are commonly overlooked.
- PAST CONCEPTS: Back in March, April & May 2022 an initial detailed proposal was made, followed by Discourse proposal with polls for DAO members to share feedback & review.: [VOTE] Establish DAO POOL: $GRAPE Rewards Incentives Pools for Realms Proposers & Voters - (<- NOTE: THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM THE CURRENT PROPOSAL)
- Establish Governance Rewards Incentives Pool as part of a broader initiative to define GRAPE ECOSYSTEM DEDICATED ALLOCATION POOLS (GRD)
Please see the supporting documentation, proposal & voting details below and this Google Spreadsheet (GRAPE DAO Metrics Dashboard v2-d2 - SHEET: PROPOSAL GRAPE DAO GOV Rewards) to see Governance Metrics & Conceptual documentation which will be updated iteratively, following this proposal
5 Key Points - A, B, C, D, E
- Rewards Pool is set to Dynamically Adjust According to the Current Active Total Grape Staked divided by the All Total Grape Staked. This allows for new participants to increase the pool size, incentivizing staking Grape AND participating in Governance Proposals/Voting.
- Rewards Pools is split into 2 parts: (A) Proposals (20%) & (B) Voting (80%), as Proposals create the ability to Vote, but success and health of Proposals depend heavily on Voting activity.
- Governance Participation exists in 2 Time-Period Groups: (A) ALL & (B) Last X Epochs i.e. Proposals & Votes that occurred in All Epochs, and those that are being rewarded in the Last X Epochs. (X = 2 Epochs rolling month-over-month for increasing or decreasing marginal returns)
- Proposals eligibility for rewards requires a Community Proposal Successful/Completed. User Proposals are represented as a percentage divided by All Qualified Proposals Created within the Time-Period reviewed. User Votes are represented as a percentage divided by All Votes Cast within the same Time-Frame as the Proposals.
- A Users Stake weights are taken as the Median Grape utilized over the Time-Period rewarded (i.e. Last 2 Epochs) used for creating a Proposal or casting a Vote. The Rewards Pool is defined by the Current Grape Staked (Snapshots taken at Random) to encourage staking in future Epochs for participation.
- Two Reward Formulas are Proposed as the Proof of Concept:
- RewardA: (RewardsPool_Vote x Valid Active User Stake Weight % x # of User Votes / All Proposals Last 2 Epochs) + (RewardsPool_Propose x Valid Active User Stake Weight % x # of User Proposals / All Proposals Last 2 Epochs )
- RewardB: (RewardsPool_Vote x Valid Active User Stake Weight % x ( AVERAGE (# of User Votes / All Proposals Last 2 Epochs & Gov Reputation Epoch Weighted)) + (RewardsPool_Propose x Valid User-to-TotalProposer Stake Weight % x ( AVERAGE( # of User Proposals / All Proposals Last 2 Epochs & Epochs Weight ))
- Gov Reputation Epoch Weighted & Epochs Weight are %-based values designed herein and implemented as a placeholder using the current proposal under RewardB. There are additional values not currently utilized for the purposes of simplicity, which can be leveraged for future implementations.
- The Spreadsheet contains numerous metrics and calculations for the purposes of providing community members and reviewers with the ability to identify or create their own models, by copying and modifying formulas.
- Establish Grape Ecosystem Dedicated Allocation Pool for Governance
- Merit & Reputation based Governance rewards for Governance contributions & participation.
- Rewards Models are intended as an incentive to promote healthy participation.
- Across DAOs various models have been discussed, reviewed, tested, & changed to address incompleteness or flaws.
- To ensure a robust process - outlined below are the key elements that Grape aims to utilize:
GRIP (dynamic) = (GRAV / GRAS) * (GRD=500,000 $GRAPE per Epoch)
Pool Segmented into:
20% = Proposal Rewards (Max 100K $GRAPE)
80% = Voting Rewards (Max 400K $GRAPE)
NOTE: Grape Ecosystem Dedicated Allocation Pool: Governance (GRD) => Max Pool recommended is 500K GRAPE or 0.1% of GRAS whichever is less. For Limits/Max Cap See Part #4.
- GRIP is a dynamic pool that adjusts according to the ratio GRAV/GRAS which is a % of total GRAPE Staked in Realms used for Voting in Governance divided by Total Grape Staked In Grape DAO Realms (i.e. GRAV is all $GRAPE Staked in Realms).
- By setting the Rewards Pool to be a % of Total Active Grape used for Governance v.s. Total Grape Staked in Governance, it incentivizes all Grape Governance participants to remain active in a critical function for the DAO (Voting), and ensures there will be ample rewards that are not diluted by increased participants, until all participants have been active.
- This mechanism is also meant to help Sybil Resistance or Attacks on the rewards process in any single given epoch.
GRR = $GRAPE Reward Return
GRRa = $GRAPE Reward Return (Formula A)
GRRb = $GRAPE Reward Return (Formula B)
GRSu = $GRAPE Realms Staked (Current Epoch - user)
GRSm = $GRAPE Realms Staked (Median X Epochs - user)
GRSup = $GRAPE Realms Staked Weight as a Percentage / All Grape Staked (user)
GRSpp = $GRAPE Realms Staked Proposer Weight as a Percentage / All Grape Staked (user)
GRSa = $GRAPE Realms Staked in Realms (all)
GRD = $GRAPE DAO Rewards Incentive Pool
GRDp = $GRAPE DAO Rewards Incentive Pool (Propose)
GRDv = $GRAPE DAO Rewards Incentive Pool (Vote)
GRIS = % of $GRAPE DAO Rewards Incentive Pool / GRAS
GRIP = Dynamic $GRAPE DAO Rewards Incentive Pool after applying %GRIP
GRAP = $GRAPE Realms Stake Participating in All Proposals (all proposers)
GRAV = $GRAPE Realms Stake Participating in All Governance (all voters)
GRGR = $GRAPE Realms Governance Reputation (proposals, votes, weights)
GRGG = $GRAPE Realms Governance Reputation Epoch-Weighted (GRGR & Weights)
Puc = QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created By User in Epochs
Pqc = QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created By All Users in Epochs
Ppc = Community Proposals Created by User in Current Epochs
Pac = Community Proposals Created by All Users in Current Epochs
Ppn = Community Proposals Created by User in All Epochs
Pan = Community Proposals Created by All Users in All Epochs (sum/cumulative)
Pvc = Community Votes Created by User in Current Epochs
Pvn = Community Votes Created by User in All Epochs
GRGR = $GRAPE Realms Governance Reputation (proposals, votes, & activity weights)
GRGG = $GRAPE Realms Governance Reputation Epoch-Weighted (GRGR w/ Epoch Weight)
GREW = User Epoch Weight (Time Factor as a % = Total Active Epochs last X Epochs)
ELIGBILITY Recap: User must have been active at least once in the last 2 Epochs (i.e. at least 1 Vote), Current Stake must be more than 0 (zero) AND Current Stake must be greater than 70% of Median Stake used in Last 2 Epochs.
GRRa = ((GRIPv x GRSup) x (Pvc / Pqc)) + ((GRIPp x GRSup)*(Puc/Pqc))
FormulaA Recap: Grape Rewards Return (a) = (RewardsPool_Vote x Valid Active User Stake Weight % x # of User Votes / All Proposals Last 2 Epochs) + (RewardsPool_Propose x Valid Active User Stake Weight % x # of User Proposals / All Proposals Last 2 Epochs )
GRRb = ((GRIPv x GRSup) x AVERAGE(Pvc/Pqc, GRGG)) + ((GRIPp x GRSpp) * AVERAGE(Puc/Pqc, GREW) )
FormulaB Recap: Grape Rewards Return (b) = (RewardsPool_Vote x Valid Active User Stake Weight % x ( AVERAGE (# of User Votes / All Proposals Last 2 Epochs & Gov Reputation Epoch Weighted)) + (RewardsPool_Propose x Valid User-to-TotalProposer Stake Weight % x ( AVERAGE( # of User Proposals / All Proposals Last 2 Epochs & Epochs Weight ))
Click to Expand: Governance Metrics
- Stake Deposited (Committed)
- Stake Withdrawn (Reclaimed)
- Stake Delegated (Connected)
- Stake Consistency (Time)
- Stake Weight (Gravity)
- Proposal Created (Generated)
- Proposal Quality (Grade)
- Proposal Result (Gauge)
- Vote Invoked (Cast)
- Vote Revoked (Retracted)
- Vote Sentiment (Position)
- Vote Option (Multi-Vote)
- Grape Verified (Unique Member)
- Grape Community (Age)
- Civic Pass Integration (Unique User) - Future
Inclusive implies no qualification or validation outside of considering a typical Community Proposal or Vote a.k.a. a Count of All Proposals or Votes before qualifying
Click to Expand: Inclusive Proposals Values
|Ppc||Community Proposals Created by User in Current Epoch||Count||Sum/Epoch||User|
|Ppn||Community Proposals Created by User in All Epochs||Sum||Sum/Cumulative||User|
|Ppa||Average Community Proposals Created by User per Epoch across All Epochs||Average||Average/Cumulative||User|
|Ppm||Median Community Proposals Created by User per Epoch across All Epochs||Median||Median/Cumulative||User|
|Pac||Community Proposals Created by All Users in Current Epoch||Count||Count/Epoch||All Users|
|Pan||Community Proposals Created by All Users in All Epochs (sum/cumulative)||Sum||Sum/Cumulative||All Users|
|Paa||Average Community Proposals Created by All Users per Epoch across All Epochs||Average||Average/Cumulative||All Users|
|Pam||Median Community Proposals Created by All Users per Epoch across All Epochs||Median||Median/Cumulative||All Users|
Click to Expand: Inclusive Votes Values
|Pvc||Community Votes Created by User in Current Epoch||Count||Sum/Epoch||User|
|Pvn||Community Votes Created by User in All Epochs||Sum||Sum/Cumulative||User|
|Pva||Average Community Votes Created by User per Epoch across All Epochs||Average||Average/Cumulative||User|
|Pvm||Median Community Votes Created by User per Epoch across All Epochs||Median||Median/Cumulative||User|
|Pwc||Community Votes Created by All Users in Current Epoch||Count||Sum/Epoch||All Users|
|Pwn||Community Votes Created by All Users in All Epochs (sum/cumulative)||Sum||Sum/Cumulative||All Users|
|Pwa||Average Community Votes Created by All Users per Epoch across All Epochs||Average||Average/Cumulative||All Users|
|Pwm||Median Community Votes Created by All Users per Epoch across All Epochs||Median||Median/Cumulative||All Users|
Optional: Qualified proposals imply 66% (2/3) majority vote & non-malicious/harmful
Consider updating to 4/5 (80%) or 3/4 (75%) or 3/5 (60%) and adding qualifier to ensure secure proposals with full community support.
Click to Expand: Qualified Proposals Values
|Puc||QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created By User in Epoch||Count||Count/Epoch||User|
|Pun||QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created By User in All Epochs||Sum||Sum/Cumulative||User|
|Pua||Average QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created by User per Epoch for All Epochs||Average||Average/Cumulative||User|
|Pum||Median QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created by User per Epoch for All Epochs||Median||Median/Cumulative||User|
|Pqc||QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created By All Users in Epoch||Count||Count/Epoch||All Users|
|Pqn||QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created By All Users in All Epochs||Sum||Sum/Cumulative||All Users|
|Pqa||Average QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created by All Users per Epoch for All Epochs||Average||Average/Cumulative||All Users|
|Pqm||Median QualifiedMS Community Proposals Created by All Users per Epoch for All Epochs||Median||Median/Cumulative||All Users|
Click to Expand: Qualified Votes Values
|Pxc||Qualified Community Votes Created By User in Epoch||Count||Count/Epoch|
|Pxn||Qualified Community Votes Created By User in All Epochs||Sum||Sum/Cumulative|
|Pxa||Average Qualified Community Votes Created by User per Epoch for All Epochs||Average||Average/Cumulative|
|Pxm||Median Qualified Community Votes Created by User per Epoch for All Epochs||Median||Median/Cumulative|
|Pyc||Qualified Community Votes Created By All Users in Epoch||Count||Count/Epoch|
|Pyn||Qualified Community Votes Created By All Users in All Epochs||Sum||Sum/Cumulative|
|Pya||Average Qualified Community Votes Created by All Users per Epoch for All Epochs||Average||Average/Cumulative|
|Pym||Median Qualified Community Votes Created by All Users per Epoch for All Epochs||Median||Median/Cumulative|
Examples of combining metrics to derive outcomes
Qualified User Proposals in Epoch divided by ALL Proposals in Epoch: Puc / Pac
Average of Qualified Proposals / All Proposals: Pua / Paa
Median All Users Votes / All Users
GRGR = $GRAPE Realms Governance Reputation (proposals, votes, weights)
Involves Metrics identified in part iv. below in various averages, and ensuring to look at historic and recent participation in proposals and voting.
GRGG = $GRAPE Realms Governance Reputation Epoch-Weighted (GRGR & Stake + Epoch Weights)
Involves Metrics identified in part iv. below in various averages, and ensuring to look at historic and recent participation in proposals and voting, coupled with stake & epoch weights.
- i. Participation will be reviewed at the end of each Governance Epoch.
- ii. Each Eligible member must commit and stake the $GRAPE amount balance for the entire duration of each Governance Epoch to receive rewards. Increases in Governance Stake after Epoch start will not be included in calculations for individual rewards during the given epoch.
- iii. Each Governance Epoch must have at least 1 Proposal created by the DAO and at least 1 Vote Required per GRAPE Member to be eligible for GRAPE DAO Rewards. No Proposals = No Rewards for either Proposals OR Votes
- iv. Proposal Creation “Success” is dependent on creation and execution of a proposal meeting the following criteria: Proposal must be a “Community” Proposal, exceed Quorum receiving a qualified majority Approval vote (>75%), that is not veto’d or reverted by the DAO due to unwanted or malicious intent, does not manipulate the rewards process, & is found not to collude with others or seek to game the rewards process.
- v. Every Proposal to be voted must contain a link to supporting DAO Documentation & Discussion (i.e. Discourse, or DAO accepted future equivalent).
- vi. Eligible Grape Members will receive rewards within the following Epoch, after the Governance Epoch ends.
- vii. Reward levels are tied to the % of Rewards divided by Total or Qualified Realms Grape Staked, Calculated by % Qualified Proposals out of Total Proposals, or Calculated by % of Votes Cast v.s. Total Votes per Proposal.
- i. Rewards confirmations will be published with insights regarding the criteria, successful proposals, and candidates, including the amounts expected for reward, total reward pool allocated, and potential candidates that failed due to failing criteria.
- ii. A group of DAO members entrusted with allocating and distributing the Grape will use a Realms, Squads, or, UniqueClub multi-sig (i.e. Similar to Bounty Approval Group)
- iii. Distribution of rewards will be discussed and confirmed as either: a Single Realms proposal with Multiple Transactions to each Recipient, or, Grape will identify an alternative more effective, cheaper and most importantly, secure method.
GRAPE Holders Capable of On-Chain Proposal Creation & Collaborators - (I.e. Neanderthals & DAO Members contributing to proposals. Example: A Proposal Creator may wish to contribute a % of Rewards earned to other contributors to a given proposal.)
DAO Rewards pool for each Epoch period is voted by DAO and can not exceed the following amounts (Unless otherwise altered by DAO Vote). This rule applies to the collective DAO Rewards Pools
DAO Governance Rewards Pools will not exceed the following amounts (whichever is less):
- 10% of Grape Emissions per Epoch
- 2.50% of all Realms Grape Staked
- 0.10% of Circulating Supply
Key Metrics to Calculate Reward Pool Sizes
- Total Circulating Supply of $GRAPE
- Total $GRAPE Staked in Realms v.s. Circulating $GRAPE
- Total $GRAPE Voting in Realms v.s. Total Staked in Realms
- NOTE: In April & May - Poll suggested the DAO would APPROVE - Dynamic Reward: 50,000 $GRAPE Pool x % Epoch Successful Proposals/Total Proposals. Initially Concept was to divide proposals & votes, but here 50,000 Base & 100,000 $GRAPE Maximum per Month/Epoch
Title: GRAPE DAO Governance Incentives: Participant Rewards & Reputation Authors: @Arximedis Contributors/Feedback: *Grape DAO Members -* Billy, CryptoPawz, RiderInRed, Dynite, Legend) Created: 2022-10-14 Updated: 2022-11-27 Stage: Proposal Discussions-To: https://dao.grapenetwork.org/t/grape-dao-governance-rewards-pool-incentives-for-realms-stakers-proposers-voters-in-progress/1173 Category: "Governance", "Governance Logic", "Incentive Parameters", "Governance Rewards", "Governance Reputation" Implementations: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LmklFFeFkf4aTj-zTbtfTgeoNdCsVpEHlFYOuxDQQfU/edit?usp=sharing Audits: TBD
- Green L, Myerson J. A discounting framework for choice with delayed and probabilistic rewards.
- P. C. Vélez, A. Barmat The Graph: Rewards and Distribution Mechanism
- Maker DAO, MakerDAO: Protocol Rate Accumulation Mechanism
- B Batog, L. Boca, N. Johnson, Ethereum: Scalable Reward Distribution
- N. Johnson, Ethereum: Div tokens
- S. Bury, LongHash Balancer: Staking of BPT for Economic and Governance Benefits
- dfinity, Revise dfinity Governance Rewards Exploit
- dfinity, Maximizing Voting and NNS Rewards
- Purestake, Algorand Token Rewards Calculation for Staking
- P. Pettit, Bonding Curves - The What, Why, and Shapes Behind Them