[Discussion] Performance Based Emissions Template for DAO, SubDAOs or Other Groups

1. Proposal Purpose:

In Response to the conversation initiated in a prior discussion for dynamic emissions (link below), I’ve taken the liberty to formulate a template that should enable implementing a uniform model that assesses, allots and allocates emissions per SubDAO in a manner that dynamically allocates emissions to members, whilst also ensuring for greater policing and improved management of roles. This discussion provides a solution and model that can be used by all SubDAO’s and allocates emissions based on a Performance Grade (% based), which would be the only requirement of SubDAOs to ensure is assigned to individual members [Discussion] Adjustable emissions Cap

SYNOPSIS: Emissions should be merit & performance based, rather than subjective or lacking quantitative/qualitative contextual supporting weights or metrics.

EMISSION TEMPLATE - SIMPLIFIED - Spreadsheet:

2. Grape Proposal Overview:

The following spreadsheet contains 2 Templates that can be utilized for any SubDAO to decide and allocate emissions based on an available budget, taking into account a BASE, a BONUS & EXCESS Emissions, if desired and a GRAPE WEIGHT SCORE - Skill Role Scoring Grid generator.

The primary inputs required from any SubDAO are the Performance Metrics that derive the % of Performance, utilizing a model like the “GRAPE WEIGHT SCORE - Skill Role Scoring Grid”

1. GRAPE Weight = Percentage % Calculated as a Weighted Average of 4 Key Criteria

a. Work Produced = 60%
b. Work Utilized = 10%
c. Activity = 10%
d. Ops/Org = 20%

2. BASE = Total Budget / Total Eligible Members (SubDAO Role Holders)

or Total Budget X and Total Members Y = X/Y = BASE Emission Allotted per Member
a. BASE allotted assumes all members can achieve 100% and deserve their share of the available budget for which this calculation ensures it is possible for each member to at least receive a % of the available budget, even if all other participants perform at 100%.
b. BASE allocated = GRAPE Weight x Base Allotted - This implies that a member with 100% performance, receives 100% of the Base Allotted. If a member performs at 50%, they receive 50% of the Base Allotted. If performance is 0%, the Base emission is 0%, and also excludes the member from the calculations that follow.

3. Bonus = Bonus Pool = Total Budget - Total Base Emissions Allocated

Next, after each Base Allocated emission is calculated per Member, a Bonus Pool is calculated by subtracting the Total Budget from the aggregate sum of all Base Allocated emissions.
a. Average Weighted Grape Weight: This metric will help define a performance threshold to automatically define the overall performance v.s. individual performance.
b. Bonus Eligibility Threshold: This can be set as a % that is a static value OR as it is implemented in the template, any SubDAO SkillRole Member that achieves a higher Performance GRAPE Weight % than the Average Weighted Grape Weight, will be Eligible to receive a % of the available Bonus Emission divided by the Total Number of Bonus Eligible Members.
c. The Total Number of Bonus Eligible Members can never be less than 3, which ensures that the maximum Bonus Allotted and Allocated enable for individual performance to be rewards, and prevents manipulation where ALL budget available to an entire SubDAO is allocated to a single member, rather enables the potential for another tier of Emissions, which is remaining.

4. Excess = Similarly to how Bonus is calculated, Excess Emissions Allocated are a function of the Total Excess Emissions Pool = Total Budget - (Total Base Allocated +Total Bonus Allocated).

a. Excess Emissions are an added tier of Emissions that can be allocated to individuals that meet the same Bonus Eligibility Criteria, ensuring higher performance can achieve capturing a greater % of emissions when multiple participants fail to meet or succeed in exceeding the overall performance of a given SubDAO.

5. Logic: There are multiple criteria and rules in the formulas within this spreadsheet. An important factor is ensuring that the Emissions received by any single member remains reasonably within the limits of the available budget and accounts for single v.s. multiple leaders.

a. IF BONUS+EXCESS > BASE + BONUS, The Bonus & Excess Emissions are calculated using the percentage of available Remaining Excess Emissions divided by Total Budget. This ensures that if there are multiple participants, but few outperformers, those outperformers are rewarded significantly higher than the other participant members, but with a dynamic cap that ensures it is impossible for a few members to consume ALL available Budget, unless more participants perform.
b. This model seeks to increase the overall performance of a given group, providing incentives for outperformers, removing/reducing the weight imposed on non-performers, and ensures more evenly distributed emissions for greater participation.
c. In the context of users with multiple roles, it is possible to aggregate the GRAPE Weights for a user’s performance across multiple SubDAOs/Roles and calculate the Total Emissions to Allocate as a % of the Total Emissions Allotted. NOTE: THIS IS NOT INCLUDED IN THIS TEMPLATE.
d. Budget NOT allocated or remaining can either be sent back to the GRAPE Treasury.
e. Hypothetical: If this model is implemented by all SUBDAOs, one idea for a proposal would be to allow a % of Remaining Emissions unallocated to be accrued and compounded for future Epoch allocations to be unlocked for greater participation in the given SubDAO, which could also take into account all SubDAO performance similarly to this model. This would incentivize increased participation from all members, and reward consistent performers at a greater rate if participants/members increase. Alternatively, a fixed or proportionate increase in budget can be discussed per additional member, as a potential alternative alluded to by @DeanMachine in prior conversations.

3. Stakeholders

Template & Grading Schema that can be implemented by any DAO, SUBDAOs & SKILLROLE Groups seeking to manage Performance, Roles & Emissions

4. Costs/Resource Requirements:

Budgets are already defined at the SubDAO levels.

12 Likes

Wow, really great work here Arximedis. Very useful and I am sure what a time saver this will be for everyone. :pray:

One small point that I wanted to double check. Is Cell E3 supposed to be yellow / purple – meaning one that is to be potentially edited manually? Currently it has a formula in it copying E7’s value).

3 Likes

Great job, we need a dynamic model to meet the meritocracy criteria in all subDAOs, especially creative subDAO. We can adjust the parameters later according to feedback and people’s input.

3 Likes

I think these will work better with the tiered system, has it been Implemented across all SubDaos?
Great Work sir

2 Likes

Currently that cell is automatically updating using the Grape Average Weight in Cell E7. It could be overridden if any team wanted to set a higher threshold for what they deem to be acceptable performance, but my opinion is that it’s better to let the math decide instead of a human. Alternatively, the weights can be changed to increase or decrease the Grape Weighted Average.

I left it as a field that could be updated for testing but you’re probably right, I’ll change it to make it even easier!

2 Likes

As much as I wish we could implement a solution across groups, it will need to be reviewed and each SubDAO will need to decide if they want to implement. For those that do, I believe it solves a number of challenges and centers the focus on the one thing each SubDAO should align on: Performance, Value & Contribution (whether as a production or service oriented task).

2 Likes

Yes - I think Creative SubDAO would be the best place to start and implement this model, since the Performance Tracking is already largely being tracked and managed. Just need to translate it into this now :wink:

2 Likes

That’s what I call over-engineering. I love it! :hearts:
Especially the iferror vlookup for Skill Role Mapping :joy:

Jokes aside, I’m really looking forward to a live test. If the Creative subDAO already utilizes performance tracking, wouldn’t it make sense to directly test it with the values from last month?

I really love what you did there. Here is a suggestion on how you could make it a bit more readable since I think some will be put off by the flood of information. I also made the bonus as well as the excess token distribution optional:

The idea with a more detailed GRAPE Weight is a good one, I’m not sure though if it’s practicable (or possible) to assess each member in those 4 categories. I’m excited to see if other subDAOs will try it.

Again, great work!

7 Likes

This is so cool, would it be possible to do a live share or record you utilizing this sheet and showing us around…like 5-10min.? Might be too much as you have explained it very well, but I believe it might help people better understand and use this in the future.

Agree with Pawz that it might be very difficult to digest at the start, maybe they don’t need to see all this info? We can discuss in a call this Sunday though

4 Likes

Thank you for this feedback. Please have a look now - Made some updates per suggestions, where there are 2 different Templates (Compact v.s. Expanded) + New Grape Weight Score Template with 1 Criteria instead of 4.

The GRAPE Weight Templates are only a sample to help save time trying to comprehend a suggested approach, but these templates can be reduced or limited to fewer or more criteria.

Check the doc when you get a chance - made 2 versions :wink:

3 Likes

Absolutely - We can recap on the next DAO Board session if you like :wink:

5 Likes

This looks like an excellent tool for us to use and can certainly take out the human factors.
As above please record a video walking us through this and maybe run through a subdao allocating emissions using this model. ty

5 Likes

Amazing work there Jim but my main concern is who will be deciding the % of all these inputs?

2 Likes

Great tool for analytics. Would love to see it work on video. Amazing stuff

3 Likes

This is absolutely perfect!, good job mate!

2 Likes

Thanks @BloodBath1 ! I think the work here should already exist in some capacity, so it’s not additional. Just as roles must be assigned, managed and maintained, so must each group policing roles monitor performance regardless. Also, tiers can very easily be mapped into tiered percentages using this model too, with greater variances which has its own pros/cons - execution/equitability

1.) What does success mean?
2.) What are the expectations for being successful?

Simplest way to manage this is the same structure managing the roles today: SubDAOs and/or SubDAO Boards (near future)

The goal is align value to contributions, make it transparent and prevent manipulation.
I wasn’t sure at the time of drafting this, but I believe this is a novel emissions rewards model that has several levels and controls to enable some form of automation with limited intervention.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.